Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Before I fall by Lauren Oliver

I can't even remember reading this book let alone writing this - but yeah - Read it May 22 2010

Before I FallBefore I Fall by Lauren Oliver

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I hated this book, and loved it at the same time. It’s cruel, and frustrating, unfair, and yet it’s also sad, and hopeful, and honest and authentic. I’m not sure how everyone else feels about their High School experience, but I despised mine. You couldn’t pay me to go back. However, this story was so vivid, that I felt as though I could smell the grease from the cafeteria, feel the rough tile on the bathroom floor and the chill of that cold fateful night. I even cringed at the hurt that all these characters so casually inflicted upon one another, so I guess I went back after all.



Sam is not a nice girl. She is a witch with a capital B. She doesn’t set out to maliciously attack anyone, but she doesn’t stand against it either.

Naturally, when Samantha meets an her end after forcing us to spend a day in her insipid world, I hardly felt bad for her. How sad is that? A teen girl dies tragically, and I thought she got what she deserved. Thus is the beauty of this book.

Told in seven chapters, each representing the same day, Before I Fall tells the story of a typically popular girl, who gets six days to right some wrongs. (she even mentions she feels like she belongs in the movie "ground hog day" )Make no mistake. I hardly think one day is sufficient to mend the hurt that these girls created. It in no way rectifies the things that Samantha has done, but it’s a start in the right direction. Rather, I felt this story allowed readers to realize that there is depth to us all. The character development of all the characters was astounding, and the character growth, drastic though it may be, was entirely believable.

Giving this book a good thumbs up :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment